Whether you are planning a wedding at a hotel, country club, winery or private estate you will need to ask a lot of questions to help you make the right decision! Here are 30 questions to ask when looking for the perfect wedding venue!
1. Are you available on my date? Or, what dates do you have available?
2. What is the venue rental fee?
3. How many hours is included in the rental fee? / What is included in the rental fee?
4. How many people can this venue accommodate?
5. Do you have parking available for guests/how many parking spaces are available for guests?
6. Can I have both the ceremony and reception here?
7. Do you have alternative sites available in case of bad weather?
8. What is the cancellation policy?
9. Do you have a preferred vendor list?/ Can I hire my own vendors?
10. Do you have any restrictions on decorations? Do you allow confetti, candles (open flames), rose petals and/or sparklers?
11. Do you have a license to serve alcohol? / Can I bring my own alcohol?
12. What is the cancellation policy?
13. Do you require a Day of Coordinator?
14. Is amplified music allowed?/ Or, how late can we have music playing?
15. How much is the deposit and when it it due?
16. How many restrooms are on-site?
17. Do you have an in-house caterer?
18. Who will be the main point of contact for the wedding day?
19. Are there any hidden fees such as service charges, corkage fees, gratuities, cleaning fees or overtime?
20. Who will be in charge of set up and break down at the event?
21. Is the venue handicap accessible?
22. Do vendors need to be cleared with you that are not on the preferred vendor list?
23. Will there be other events/weddings scheduled on our wedding day?
24. Do you have a room for the bride to get ready in?
25. Do you offer lower rates for different days and times? (Friday, Sunday, morning, afternoon, evening)
26. Do you provide tables, chairs, linens, plates, glasses and silverware or do those need to be rented?
27. What is the food and beverage cost per person?
28. Do you have overnight accommodations? /Do you have room blocks/discounts?
29. Does the venue carry liability insurance?
30. How early/what time can we begin setting up?
1. Take photos of the venues you visit to look back on. If you visit multiple locations, take a photo of the location name/sign when you arrive so you can keep track of them all. The photos will help you remember which places you visited, what you liked and didn't like, how big the rooms were and the venue style (historic, modern, casual, classic, religious, etc).
2. If you really like the venue, ask for a proposal to review the cost and rental terms.
3. When you are at the venues, try to see as much as possible. Don't get caught up only looking at the ceremony or reception site. Be sure to also look at the grounds outside, the parking lot, the restrooms, dressing rooms and anything else that may be important to your final decision.
4. Take lots of notes. Write down answers to the questions you ask and anything you notice as you are walking around that you will want to remember later.
Photos courtesy of Dollar Photo Club
Contact us if you are looking for a Day of Coordinator for your wedding or click the button below to view all our packages and pricing!
Brenda Cali is a professionally trained Wedding Consultant and plans a variety of social and corporate events.