Wedding Planners have gained in popularity over the past decade when movies such as The Wedding Planner, Father of the Bride and more recently Bride Wars brought the profession to the public eye more and more. The characters in these examples played by Jennifer Lopez, Martin Short and Candice Bergen, all had different personalities, styles and skill sets.
Although the characters in the movies were quite quirky at times, there was a lot of truth to them as a whole. When it comes to Wedding Planners in "real life" each can offer a wide range of skills, styles, individual taste and personalities and offer something unique to their business that sets them apart from other planners. When choosing a Wedding Planner it is important to find one that fits your own personal style that you also feel comfortable working with for several weeks or months leading up to your wedding day.
To understand what a Wedding Planner can do for you, here is a list of the Top 5 Reasons You Should Hire a Wedding Planner and some of the benefits you can expect of having an experienced and professional Wedding Planner by your side.
Top 5 Reasons to Hire a Wedding Planner
1. Saves you time. Life is busy. If you are working full time, have a family to take care of, going to school or just don't have a lot of time to spare, having a Wedding Planner will save you time by helping you with researching, negotiating and securing vendors as well as help narrow down venue options by listening to your needs and understanding your vision, budget and size of your wedding to determine which venues would be the best options for you to consider. As part of our Full Service and Partial Coordination packages, Gatherings for Good offers vendor referrals to help take the guess work out of it and make the vendor hiring process more efficient and less confusing.
2. Saves you money. Many people think of Wedding Planners are expensive or something only people with a lot of money can afford but that is not true. Gatherings for Good understands the importance of working with your budget and we strive to help as many couples as we can which is why we set our fees at an amount we consider to be reasonable and very competitive to other planners in the local area. Weddings can be expensive and we know you want your money to go as far as possible. We offer a low, medium and high price point to accommodate most budgets without sacrificing the quality of the service you receive. A Wedding Planner can often times save you money when it comes to hiring vendors as well and help find you the ones that won't empty your wallet. We can also help you with budgeting and where to allocate wedding funds based on your priorities and help you keep track of deposits and payments, making sure you are not overspending.
3. Mediator. Let's face it - you and your fiance don't always agree. You both have your own opinions and styles you want to bring into the wedding which is great! But there will be times you don't see eye to eye and that is where a Wedding Planner can help. As an outsider listening to both parties, we can help you come to an agreement and learn to compromise so that both parties get what they want. The goal is for the couple to feel as though they are contributing their ideas and that the wedding reflects the unique relationship the two of you have encompassing all the important details that matter to you such as family traditions, religious beliefs, cultural heritage and personal values. We can help you design your wedding the way you want so that it feels personal to you and different than other weddings because no two weddings are the same and every couple is unique.
4. Keeps You on Track. When it comes to wedding planning there are so many details! Many couples know how and when to get certain tasks accomplished such as buying the wedding gown, finding a venue, sending out invitations, choosing a wedding theme or color scheme or if they want a band or DJ. But there are many other details and decisions that need to be made and if you are not keeping a to-do list and checking them off one by one, you can quickly and easily get off track and behind schedule which can make the wedding planning process much more stressful than it should be. Knowing what needs to get done and when will keep you happy and sane and a lot more fun! Gatherings for Good provides checklists of things to do each month so you always have list of items at your fingertips! If you get behind a little bit because you had a busy week or just forgot, we will send you reminders to make sure you get them done and if you are stuck and need help, we are there to help at any time.
5. Wedding Day Management. The biggest and most important job a Wedding Planner has is managing the details of the wedding day from start to finish. Most of the time we arrive 1-2 hours prior to the ceremony starting to allow time to set up any personal items, meet with the venue staff, greet and assist the vendors as they arrive, greet and direct the wedding guests as well as be there when the bride and groom arrive. We act as the main point of contact for the vendors, staff, guests and wedding party to answer any questions or resolve any last minute issues that come up. At Gatherings for Good, we understand how important timing for the wedding day is and how crucial it is to follow the timeline as closely as possible which is why we schedule a final planning meeting at least 2 weeks before the wedding to go over all the important details with you and design the timeline so it reflects all the events that need to take place during the wedding, ensuring that the flow of the day is seemless and stress-free.
Brenda Cali is a professionally trained Wedding Consultant and plans a variety of social and corporate events.