As a Wedding Planner it's my job to always recommend that couples use professionals when it comes to their wedding day. Why?
This is the ONE day you have been planning for months, (maybe years), and it should be done right!
Using professionals such as DJs, caterers, photographers and other service providers will eliminate risk and reduce overall worry and stress knowing you are in good hands and working with people who are experts in their field!
DJs are no exception! They are the backbone of the wedding helping to keep things on track. DJs and Wedding Planners work together to make sure that what needs to happen happens on time!
In addition to that, they also provide an endless amount of music selections and are masters at bringing the fun! The energy they bring to the wedding is infectious and gets people excited.
Whenever I hear from a bride or groom that they want to use a friend to play music at their wedding, I think, why? Why would you do that?
This is not just any social gathering or party. This is YOUR WEDDING! This is not the time to put that kind of trust in your friend. Let them enjoy the wedding as a guest and let the professionals do the work!
Here are a few of the reasons I always recommend professional DJs over your friend. (Even if your friend has experience or runs their own business).
1. They can provide sound systems in multiple locations. This is esepcially important if you are using more than one space at your wedding venue with your guests traveling from one area to another. DJs have all the necessary sound equipment needed to make sure you have music playing for the ceremony, cocktail area and the reception.
2. They do more than play music. They make announcements during the wedding and let people know when and where things are happening. They announce the wedding party for the grand entrance, they let guests know when dinner is being served, when the first dance is going to take place, when the cake will be cut and any other announcements that need to be made. Timing is so important at weddings and DJs are great at making sure things are staying on track and moving along.
3. They a vast assortment of music and provide endless amounts of energy to your party! They are great at reading a room and making adjustments as needed. They love to enertain and see people having fun. That is their job and why they are so good at what they do! A professional DJ will make sure people are dancing, enjoying the music and having a great time. You and your guests will appreciate the lively atmosphere and the experience only a DJ can create.
4. They offer a variety of add-ons and extra services such as lighting, fog machines, disco balls, glow sticks, and photo booths to add that something extra to your event. These add-ons will enhance the overall wedding experience and keep the crowd entertained all night long!
5. They are there to work! One of the biggest reasons I always suggest hiring a professional DJ or any other vendor for that matter is because they are strictly there to work. They are hired to do a job and will act in a professional manner to ensure the customer (you) is satisfied.
When using a friend in a vendor role you can't guarantee they will show up on time, act professional, or do the job they were asked to do. This is a recipe for disaster. Because of your personal relationship, they may feel like being a guest and want to join the party, have a drink, and forget they are there to work.
Pro Tip: Vendors should never act like a guest at the wedding.
Let your friend know you appreciate the offer but you would prefer they just come to the wedding and enjoy themselves! Leave the work to the professionals.
Brenda Cali is a professionally trained Wedding Consultant and plans a variety of social and corporate events.